5/3/10

getting adjusted

I took a break from blogging for the past few weeks.

Getting this new semi-jobless life of mine into perspective.

It is slowly coming together. I think.

It is a beautiful thing to have time and freedom and I do not want to waste a second of it.

I get to be an almost full-time artist and I am slightly overwhelmed. Only because it is everything I have been asking for and I have to figure out how to make it work for me. Believe it or not- I still do not have as much time as I need to be in the studio or out shooting. Very complicated.

On the flip side, looking at new work is as important to me as making it. So, I will be headed to NYC for New York Photo Festival in Dumbo starting this Thursday. A lot of very interesting exhibitions and speakers over the 4 day event. I look forward to taking it all in and digesting it thoroughly.

The festival is very cool because it organizes several exhibitions and constructs a panel schedule around the topics of each show. The visiting curators include Vince Aletti, Erik Kessels, Fred Richin and Lou Reed.

In addition, they have a very large portfolio review event. Many wonderful reviewers are invited to participate--- it is a great place to showcase your work. Will most surely take advantage next year when this newer work is further along.

NYC is buzzing with photography that is not related to NYPH. Some of the exhibitions I plan on seeing:

KlompChing Gallery in Dumbo (very close to the NYPH events) will have a reception for Helen Sear on Thursday evening.

image by Helen Sear, courtasy of the Klompching Gallery

MoMA has a tremendous amount to see: William Kentridge (through May 17), Henri Cartier-Bresson (through June 28) & performance by Marina Abramovic (through May 31). I can seriously spend the entire day here-- and I just might end up doing that.

The last big thing on my list that I have to see is:

Haunted: Contemporary Photography/Video & Performance at the Guggenheim.

I will keep you updated....

No comments: