1/22/10

a kids eye-view of the landscape


I was really happy with this spread in the Woodstock Times last week which highlights a project I have been a part of for the last few months. As a collaboration with the Woodstock Land Conservancy and Bill Miles, an artist in the current exhibition at CPW "Landscape Forever" and CPW- we visited 50 6th graders at Woodstock Elementary and talked with them about landscape photography, gave them Canon digital SLRs to shoot with, and curated an on-line and in person exhibition of their work.

To be honest, I am not normally comfortable working with that age group. (It is lame, but true.) But, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this project was simply because of the talented group of students I got to work with. Give them a tool to be expressive and they will not only use it, but will often go beyond your expectations. Great lesson for me. I hope thie kids learned something too.

Check out CPW's Flickr site here to see more student work. (go to on-line exhibitions)

No comments: