6/28/08

old school

The image above was taken with the school's view cam- I believe it was a Cambo and some good old Polaroid 55 (nod head in mourning). The color has browned over these few years. i kind of like it.

I found this picture when I was cleaning a few weeks ago and it made me so happy. This is my first group of student employees at the UMass Student Union Gallery (though also included in the pic is Ben, his sister Sarah and Gustavo who at the time was Paula's assistant)...which means this picture was taken in 2003/2004. It was at a BBQ I had at my house in Sunderland that I put together for these hard working and awesome gals. They really were an incredible staff and i was so lucky to have worked with them.

That gallery was such an important part of my life and I will never forget that. I still cannot believe how many wonderful exhibitions and events we put on. Having Laurie Anderson come to UMass to talk was one of the highlights for sure. That was the gallery's big 50th anniversary celebration. Why Laurie? She came to the gallery in the early 70's to give a performance art workshop. wish I was there! In any case, I thought it would be fun to bring her back as a representation of the accomplishments the gallery has had over time. It was a great event. Hard to top.
Ms. Anderson, the Student Union Gallery staff and our supervisor Paula Hodecker before the lecture.
This image was taken by Nafis Azad (a great friend of the gallery).

By the way, Laurie Anderson will be performing Homeland at the Egg in Albany, NY on September 21st. This is a very cool venue, I suggest checking it out!

No comments: