6/15/08

workshop ramble- a little late.

image by Josephine Sacabo

I cannot believe I have not blogged all week! Between the hectic weekend and getting sick I just was not capable of getting to the computer. I suck, I know.
In any case, here are some notes on last weekend....

I was really curious how the workshop this past weekend would turn out. On a personal level I was very excited about the subject matter: Images of the Psyche, but I did not know how the students would be able to express their ideas and concerns in only 2 days. Well...it turned out that Josephine Sacabo was so awesome that it was a breeze. The students got so much from her critique of their work, her discussion of her own art and the full day of making images at a beautiful home in Saugerties. Sacabo helped the students to challenge their own personal comfort zones and therefore tap into a hidden creative pocket within.

Sacabo instructing a workshop participant

I was personally so inspired by Sacabo's gravure prints (which you can see at BMG Galerie in Woodstock). There was a time when i was obsessed with the process and seeing her work has sparked that in me again. we will see what comes of it.

Also, on monday we had our New York City Portfolio Review at Milk Studios in Chelsea. They were so nice to us there- the entire staff is awesome. The event went wonderfully, and I could not be happier. We introduced two new reviewers this year- Jennifer Blessing, curator of photographs at the Guggenheim and Craig Cohen, editor at Powerhouse books- and both got tremendous praise from the participants. Overall, a very successful (and exhausting) weekend.

NYC Reviews

No comments: